Pages

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Sourdough bread Part 2

Sour dough Part 2

I've been experimenting with my sour dough mix, and keeping it alive by restocking it every 3 days, by taking out the old, and adding in new flour and water, I keep it in the refrigerator.

French Sour dough  Bread 

1 c. warm water
1 tsp. of yeast
1 T. sugar
3/4 tsp. of salt
1/2 c. sour dough starter

1 1/2- 2 1/2 cups of bread  flour. {Sometimes I divide this with 1/4 cup of rye, 1/4 c.  spelt flour, or 1/4 to 1/2 c. whole wheat.  The flour depends on the texture of the dough,  Start with lukewarm water, add yeast, let it sit for 5 minutes. Then add just plain bread flour{about 3/4 c. and stir), to start your sponge dough going, let the sponge sit for 1/2 hour in a warm spot. I usually use the dough setting in my bread machine for this. Then I add the rest of ingredients, start the button on the dough bread machine, and let it do the kneading. I keep watching the dough in the beginning to be sure I add enough flour. You want it in a ball, but not sticky, but not to dry either.

After it has risen in the warm environment in the bread machine. I usually take it out and let it sit in the refrigerator over night or for 6-8 hours for the yeast to age. Take it out, divide it into two small loaves, or divide it into 4 small pieces, and roll out into long ropes. Twist two of the ropes together into two Baguettes.
Use cornmeal   on the bottom of the pan. and place some on top also. {or place sesame seeds with an egg wash on top} if you choose.
Let rise in a warm oven, with a towel over the dough, until double.

Now bake at 425 oven, for 14- 18 minutes, with a steel bowl with about 1/2 to 2 cups of ice cubes in the pan, set at the lowest rack in the oven right below the pan of dough. This creates a moist environment, and develops a chewy moist crust....

No comments:

Post a Comment